Do you want to make a full-time income from blogging? Then choosing the right topic is very important. But I can tell you, choosing the right topic for a niche blog isn’t easy. You might have too many ideas, or possibly none at all. This is a big problem that you have to solve before you start blogging and that’s why I want to help you. After reading this blogpost you will be able to choose the right topic for your blog.
What is a niche blog?
Before deciding to create a niche blog, you should understand the differences between the three types of blogs – the niche blog, the personal blog and the magazine blog.
- Niche blogs: niche blogs are about one topic and the writer is mostly seen as an expert in his or her field.
- Personal blogs: personal blogs are about the writer. These bloggers share their opinions, stories about their lives and other topics they find interesting.
- Magazine blogs: these blogs are more like magazines. The writer(s) write about many different subjects for a particular target audience.
What are the advantages of niche blogs?
The type of blog you choose to create depends on your ambitions and goals. Do you want to make a business out of your blog? My recommendation is to start a niche blog. Why? Because:
- A niche blog is about just one topic. Readers will follow you because they want to know more about that topic. They will probably read every single blogpost, because they are also interested in that topic. For you, this is a big advantage. If you write about many different topics, then the chances are high that your visitors won’t read every blogpost. When they see many different topics they don’t like, they might not even follow your blog. It’s also hard to know what your audience wants, when you write about many different subjects.
- You can start a niche blog on your own with limited resources. When you write great blogposts, it’s not necessary to share a blogpost every day. Magazine blogs on the other hand, require a large investment. Do you want to produce many articles on different topics every day? Then you have to hire additional writers. You can also start a personal blog on your own, but these blogs have a more limited audience.
- You will get the chance to become an expert. When you share good stuff for a long time, people will trust what you say and share your content with others. When you want to make money blogging, it’s an advantage when people see you as an expert. They will definitely buy your products and trust what you say and share.
Which blogging niche is for you?
Maybe it’s not a secret that I am a huge fan of niche blogging. There are even more advantages, but these three will be enough for now! Let’s start with the tips! How can you choose the right topic for your future blog?
1. What do you REALLY like?
You can’t blog about something you are not into. So, what do you really like or what are you really good at doing? Make a list of your different interests and hobbies.
Do you find it hard to come up with ideas? Then you could ask some people who know you really well. Asking other people for blogging ideas is very effective. It’s very likely that you already talk about what would be the perfect niche topic for your blog. When you talk a LOT about one subject, it just might be the perfect niche blogging topic for you. For example, I like to watch and talk about several TV series. So, maybe it will be a topic I write about one day.
2. What could you tell people?
It’s really important that you like the topic you choose. Otherwise you will quit blogging very soon. Next to this, it’s also important that you can help, inspire or entertain your target audience. Do you have the knowledge about this particular topic? It’s easier, when you have a lot to say, than when you are searching for the information online.
So, now make a new list. Combine the things you like (step 1) with the things you are familiar with (how can you help people). Is there a subject left that you could use for your blog? The next step is to “test” if you could write easily about your topic. Write down 20 possible blogpost topics. Can you come up with at least 20 blogpost topics in a few minutes? Then it might be a possible topic to pursue. If not, then it may be too difficult to write about.
For example if you choose to blog about cooking, you could write down
- Some recipes
- Your favorite products from a particular foodstore
- A review of a food product
- A review of a kitchen gadget
- Or even a food diary
Some people think that writing about one topic is boring or difficult, but as you can see, sticking to a niche topic doesn’t mean that you won’t have a lot to write about. You just have to be creative. And, writing about one topic will help you to create more focused and interesting blogposts! 😉
3. Visualize your blog ideas
Your blog won’t work when you are not able to visualize your ideas. Can you see beyond your first blogpost? Do you see a future for you blog and do you already have some ideas for future projects? Maybe you could create an online course or write a book? How could you profit if your blog becomes a huge success?
Be creative and think BIG!
Step 3 is also very helpful when you have doubts about starting a blog. These visualized ideas are going to make you very excited and this will be enough to start blogging!
4. How about the competition?
If you want to grow a successful blog, then it’s important that you come up with some new ideas. Are there already some major bloggers in your niche? Check out their sites. What are they doing, what do you like and what not? Look for opportunities where you can differentiate yourself from what are they doing. You could speak to a particular audience within the niche or look for subjects your competitors aren’t talking about. Simply being a copycat won’t get you many followers.
Let me give an example! Imagine that you are creating a travel blog. Your competitors write about many different countries and many of their blogposts are about sightseeing opportunities. If you want to stand out, you could simply write about one country. And instead of writing only about the tourist attractions, you could also write about the food, the culture or the interesting people who live there. Think outside the box and you will develop a very good niche for your blog.
5. Who is your target audience?
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: when you want to do something original, you should pick a specific target audience. WHO are you writing for? When you identify your audience, it will be easier to write your blogposts. You know what your audience would like to learn more about and you know which problems they have.
Identifying a target audience also makes it possible to narrow the focus of your blog. If your niche is going to be fitness, it might be difficult to write blogposts for everyone who exercises. If you write for beginners who just started exercising, it will be much easier to write interesting blogposts for this entire audience. These exercisers are dealing with the same issues, have the same questions and need the same level of motivation.
Yes, choosing a topic for you blog isn’t easy. But, I hope that these tips were very useful and will help you to choose a topic in the next few days. Do you have some other tips on choosing a niche blog topic? Please share them with me and the other bloggers who visit PrimeBlogger.